Hello,
My name is Kayli Cooper, and most of the time, I go by Cooper. I am in my second year of college, and my major is Nursing with a minor in American Sign Language. I plan on going further into my major to get my master's and become a Nurse Practitioner. What I am planning on doing with my degree is to work in a hospital or clinical setting and soon own my own clinical as a Nurse Practitioner. Anyways, a bit more about me is that I am madly in love with art, whether it is drawings or tattooing, and that has become a big passion of mine as well. I enjoy the work of art that many tattoo artists do and have gotten multiple during a short period, and I am surely planning on getting more. Another big interest of mine is working out or lifting; I used to do Track and Field since I was about 8 years old, and it is still something I find fun to do, but due to a recent injury, I had to stop. Since I have always been a big fan of art and history, I never really planned on taking any classes to learn more about the artworks. I am excited to say that this is the first class I am taking, and I am eager to learn all about the artwork we will soon learn about. Most of the art that I find so satisfying and interesting to learn about is Egyptian art and a lot of Japanese art as well as I just see how they can paint and show their culture in so many different ways is amazing to me.
![]() |
| Isabella or the Pot of Basil |
I decided to pick Isabella or the Pot of Basil; William Holman Hunt painted it, 1866-8, retouched in 1886. It is an oil canvas that is painted 187 x 116.5 cm. This artwork was based on a story from the Renaissance author Boccaccio's Decameron. I selected this artwork because I love the canvas and just how smooth and refined this painting is when looking at it. The painter took their time with the amount of detail they put into this piece; for example, the cloth under the rug has so many colorful aspects that brighten the painting to compromise with the girl's dark hair color and ora around her. This artwork has me in shock because it is so clean and wonderful to study and admire all of its perfections.
Dr. Rebecca Jeffrey Easby, "William Holman Hunt, Isabella or the Pot of Basil," in Smarthistory, June 27, 2020, accessed August 26, 2021.

I love the way you described this piece, and I completely agree with you. I think that this piece was painted beautifully with the amount of detail it has.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you that oil paintings are so beautiful. They really do take a long time to get all the details perfect.
ReplyDelete